I’ll be adding information about reedmaking here a little at a time. Here is the first installment: Bassoon Reedmaking
Here is a list of reedmaking tools:
- Small pliers (like: these)
- Mandrel (Fox “standard”)
- Plaque (Fox convex arrow-shaped)
- #400 grit wettable sandpaper (like this at Lowe’s)
- A flat file like the 8A Swiss Grobet File (Fine) at Christlieb Products–scroll down (you may be able to find something similar at a good hardware store)
- A round needle file
- A steel ruler with millimeter markings
- Here is an example of an anvil cutter. Take a look at the hardware store. The most important consideration is the sharpness of the blade.
- The best forming mandrel is 2130WW Bassoon Forming Mandrel Brass ($15.00) by Womble Williams Double Reeds.
- Here are some sources for #22 soft brass wire:
- You will also need Duco Cement to seal the wrapping.